Prawn and Pork Wanton Soup with Egg Noodles and Bok Choy
For the Wantons:
200 grm Pork Mince
100 grm Prawns Chopped into small pieces
1 Stem of Spring Onion Finely Sliced
1 tblspn Shaoxing Chinese Cooking Wine
2 tblspn Light Soy
Ground White Pepper Pinch
For the Soup:
1 ltr Chicken Stock
1 tspn White Pepper Corns
100 gr Ginger Sliced into thin discs
1/2 Bunch Spring Onions
1/2 cup Light Soy
1/2 cup Shaoxing Chinese Cooking Wine
1 x 500gr Fresh Egg Noodles
2 Bunches Bok Choy Washed and quartered
Sea Salt Season to taste
For the wonton
- “work” the pork mince a little by kneading it in bowl for about 5 minutes to give the final product a smoother texture.
- Add prawns and mix through thoroughly.
- Add the spring onions and mix through thoroughly
- Add the light soy and Chinese Cooking Wine and light soy and mix through thoroughly. Add the white pepper and test the seasoning by frying off a little of the mix. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Place a teaspoon of mix in the middle of the wanton skin then moisten the edges with a little water.
- Bring the corners to the middle, making sure you pinch the edges to seal together. Set aside ready for the broth
For the broth
- Place the chicken stock, white pepper corns, ginger and spring onions into a pot and simmer for 30 minutes then strain.
- Just before serving add the Chinese cooking wine and light soy to season the broth. Add sea salt if needed.
- Blanch Noodles in hot water until soft and same again with bok choy, drain and serve into a noodle bowl.
- Blanch the wantons in also in hot water for about 2 minutes then place into the noodle bowl.
- Pour broth to cover
Photo by Jun Pang